Help Make it Happen
If you want to see these lands preserved and open for recreation, we need your support. ACT NOW to help save the trails!
Join our Email List
Quick and easy - help us keep you informed! We won't overload your inbox, just let you know when there are important developments and actions to take.
Sign the Petition
We have more than 8,000 signatures, but the more the better! Be counted and show how important this is to the community.
Contact the Decision Makers
Call and email your county and city elected officials and the RDU Airport Authority Board.
Please be positive and respectful in your communications. Many of these decision makers want to see a win-win for the airport and the community. But there are real hurdles and regulations that must be navigated, and it will require bold action - let them know you support this better vision. Let them know how important it is to have these centrally located, convenient trails. Let them know what a valuable asset a trail center and IMBA ride center would be, both for the residents and businesses in our community. And personal stories are always a nice touch.
These lands are owned by RDU, which is governed by the RDU Airport Authority board. Those board members are appointed by Durham County, Wake County, the City of Raleigh, and the City of Durham. Contact your local city council and county commissioners and let them know you support our efforts.
- District 1: Sig Hutchinson, Chair Sig.Hutchinson@wakegov.com
- District 2: Matt Calabria, Vice-Chair Matt.Calabria@wakegov.com
- District 3: Jessica Holmes Jessica.Holmes@wakegov.com
- District 4: Erv Portman Erv.Portman@wakegov.com
- District 5: James West firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 6: Greg Ford Greg.Ford@wakegov.com
- District 7: John D. Burns John.Burns@wakegov.com
Raleigh City Council members
- Look towards the bottom of this page for the City Council members, their background, and contact info.
Durham County Commissioners
Durham City Council Members
RDU Airport Authority
- Dickie Thompson: email@example.com
- John Kane: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farad Ali: fali@TheInstituteNC.org
- Robert Teer: email@example.com
- Larry Zucchino: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RDU Airport President and CEO: email@example.com
What to say?
- SUPPORT the vision of RDU Forest, a central hub of outdoor recreation that adds to the quality of life for residents in our region, is an asset to businesses and employees who value outdoor adventure, and appeals to active travelers.
- SUPPORT preserving Lake Crabtree County Park and the forest bordering Old Reedy Creek for recreational use. It is one of the most used recreation corridors in the Triangle, and the largest centrally located mountain biking trail system.
- OPPOSE a quarry built adjacent to William B. Umstead State Park on environmental sensitive lands that drain into Umstead State Park and Crabtree Creek
- SUPPORT an extended, detailed community involvement in planning the land use of these RDU airport lands. One that preserves forested trail-based recreation and is more compatible with the surrounds of William B. Umstead State Park, Lake Crabtree County Park and lands off of Old Reedy Creek Road